Staff Backend Developer
Are you a hands-on software engineer with a deep understanding of Python, Django, Celery, and platforms which those systems are built on and deployed to? Are you hungry for learning? If so, we would want to chat with you!
As a staff backend developer at our organization, you’ll lead, guide, and work with the backend development team on building features and integrations with other systems. This means using lots of APIs to pull data, as well as building APIs for others to push data to Vantage. There is also a lot of data analysis work to power the intelligence of the platform.
In this role you will support teams working on different products and technologies to ensure that architectural design is adhered to, quality software is produced, and timely market delivery is achieved.
We are a fully remote team, but are primarily based in southern Ontario, and usually get together at least once a month for planning, team building, and group work.
- Collaborate with a diverse team of software engineers, engaging in iterative processes and effective task planning to drive our projects forward.
- Take ownership of the design, development, testing, deployment, maintenance, and enhancement of our software solutions.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, ensuring our systems remain stable and responsive even during off-hours.
- Foster collaboration with other engineering teams, promoting the reuse of existing frameworks and gaining insights into their operation.
- Lead by example. Excellent at mentoring engineers. Makes your colleagues better.
- Stay current with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in software development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of professional experience with a strong track record of success in software development, testing, software design, and architecture.
- Experience in Python and Django.
- Experience in one of the cloud platforms: Azure, AWS, or GCP.
- Experience troubleshooting and debugging production code.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers and clear status updates.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- In-depth knowledge of Python, Django, and Celery
- Experience with Snowflake and/or relational databases
- Experience with high availability systems.
- Understanding of distributed computing systems.
- Experience with application deployment and data pipelines.
Why Join Us?
- Embrace a culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, and problem-solving that is essential to our success.
- Work in a blame-free environment that encourages collaboration and innovation.
- Enjoy the freedom to take the lead on meaningful projects and opportunities for professional growth.
- Benefit from a supportive and mentorship-driven environment to continuously learn and expand your skill set.
Come join an emerging tech company just as we hit our inflection point. Vantage plays in a $250BN addressable market in North America that is seeing significant disruption. Retailers are transforming their digital marketing practices to drive customer acquisition and are looking for new profit centers in retail media networks.
Vantage is uniquely positioned in this space, having established a technology platform that is custom-built for retail media. We offer the only turnkey integrated retail media network. We significantly outperform online media benchmarks by leveraging automation, machine learning, and AI. Ours is the market-leading platform and we have real traction with some of the biggest names in retail.
We are excited to expand the team and take the company to the next level. You would have the opportunity to get in early and obviously, that comes with great possible financial upside, but it also comes with an opportunity to shape the culture of the team. So, we’re picky about the people we invite to join the journey. We’re looking for true team players, not lone wolves, or temporarily hired guns. We are professionals with a passion for doing great work and driving real success for Vantage and our clients.
Headquartered in Toronto but currently working fully remotely, the Vantage team is diverse, creative and fun. Our belief is that our firm commitment to diversity & inclusion enables Vantage to be better. We also believe that people are happiest and can accomplish the most amazing things when they have the freedom and flexibility to customize their work and life environments, and can take on huge, stimulating challenges with fantastic colleagues.
Our tech stack includes Python, Django, Celery, React, AngularJS, Snowflake, MySQL, Postgres, Snowplow, Stitch Data, RabbitMQ, Redis, CircleCI, PagerDuty; hosted mainly on Azure, with limited usage of GCP and AWS.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation
- Employee share ownership – because Vantage wants you to truly share the success
- Flexible work/life, remote-first philosophy
- Great health benefits from Day 1
- Career development / continuing education allowance – we all want to stay sharp
- Mac laptop & other Apple equipment (we’ll give you a budget to build your perfect work-from-home environment because ergonomics matter)
- Team building activities to keep things fun: wonderland days, cottage trips (COVID permitting), virtual games & escape rooms, team lunches, and weekly nacho breaks on Fridays
Please submit a resume with a cover letter to Careers@GotVantage.com